Photo by Me
Nigerian Fish stew which is known as Obe eja tutu is a healthy Nigerian stew cooked with fresh fish, tomatoes, pepper, and spices. Depending on the preference of the person cooking, the fish can befriend before the cooking and the pepper blending although popularly and commonly blended smoothly is also based on preference.
I personally love this stew because it can be prepared with any type of fresh fish available like hake, mackerel, catfish, or tilapia. this stew is enjoyed with most staple Nigerian dishes like boiled rice, boiled and fried plantain, boiled yam, swallow and so much more.
Ingredients for Nigerian Fresh Fish Stew
– 1kg Fresh Tomatoes or canned tomato puree(the watery type)
– 500ml Vegetable Oil
– 300g Fresh fish(any fresh fresh fish will do)
– 2 OR 3 medium bulbs Onions– 5 Habanero Pepper (atarodo)
– 2 stock cubes
– Thyme and curry (1 teaspoon each)
– Salt to taste and 1 leaf of laurel(Bay leaf)
Quick Note: Tilapia fish was used in this video because it contains less bone and cooks faster than the other fishes. Also, you do not have to use a lot of oil in this stew.