Close this search box.

Gorey Rangers keep title fight alive following dramatic victory over relegation-battling Bunclody

Image: Gorey Rangers Facebook.

Thursday evening’s fixture in the Wexford Football League saw two teams with contrasting fortunes battle it out as the season’s close draws nearer.

Gorey Rangers‘ chances of lifting the Wexford Football League title were still very much alive heading into the game, with games in-hand and a mouthwatering clash with league leaders North End United on the not too distant horizon. For Bunclody AFC however, anything less than three points would have been considered disastrous, as their struggle to stay in Wexford’s Premier Division continues.

It was Gorey that started the better of the two teams, when in the 14th minute, Conor Casserley tucked the ball away into the Bunclody net, to make Gorey one goal to the good. However, Gorey’s lead was soon outdone, when less than six minutes later, Bunclody somewhat gratuitously equalised through a Chris Kelly tap-in, following a headed corner that was initially brilliantly saved by the Gorey goalkeeper.

Rangers’ Steve Kinsella provided the goal of the game in the 34th minute, as his sweetly struck right-footed shot hit the top corner of the net, re-establishing Gorey’s lead in the process.

North End United remain at the top of the Wexford Football League. Image: North End Utd Facebook.

At the conclusion of a relatively uneventful second half, Gorey looked set to take all three points. However, plenty of late drama was to ensue, when Bunclody’s Mulhall was taken down in the box by Steven Moloney following a trademark jinking run, resulting in an injury time penalty. Jason Somers converted the spot kick, relieving his teammates and the large home crowd in attendance of relegation woes for a little while at least.

However, it wasn’t to be, as further dramatic events were afoot. With just under a minute of injury time remaining, Gorey’s Paul Brennan was taken down in the opposite penalty area, gifting his team a last-gasp penalty, and a reprieve to take all three vital points. Fitzgerald duly slotted home the all-important kick, ensuring that Gorey’s title hopes remain very much alive, while Bunclody must continue to seek some vital points that will safeguard their survival in the Premier Division next season.

The final score at the Bunclody AFC complex was Bunclody AFC 2 – 3 Gorey Rangers. The main highlights of the game are below.

Share your love

Related News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.