- There are Irish people everywhere. Irish pubs, restaurants, hairdressers, etc, the list goes on. If you are planning on moving away, take some time to research your local area. Make sure to join the local Facebook groups so that you can keep up to date with what is going on. Most neighbourhoods have Irish communities. The GAA is also a great way to meet new friends and mingle with people from home. Give football or hurling a try even if you have never played. Most people are there for the comradery rather than the sport itself.
- The food is phenomenal. You might think that you have a broad palette when it comes to food- New York will knock that right out of you. There are so many fabulous restaurants in NYC thanks to the array of cultures living there. From quaint Turkish breakfasts spots to underground Vietnamese restaurants, you will not find yourself stuck. Be sure to check as many of them as you can, undoubtedly, you will try foods you have never even heard of.
- Like most immigrants in a foreign country, you might find yourself homesick from time to time. There is almost a common understanding or a shared experience of this between the immigrants in New York. People support each other and help one another through the hard times. You can also avoid all heavy lifting during your move by hiring americans mover to assist you with the process.
- You will work HARD. You will work yourself to the bone and wear yourself thin in NY. At times you will have more money than you know what to do with. Splash out and live the lavish NYC lifestyle from time to time but try and save some money. Especially if you are planning on returning to Ireland, it will be the easiest money you ever save.
- Learn how to be alone. Even if you move over with friends or make friends in NY, the chances are they will probably work an opposite schedule to you – such is the NY way. Don’t let that stop you from exploring the city. Go to mid-week basketball games or an impromptu Broadway show. Don’t wait for someone to go with you, you might not get a second chance!