As football looks set to return, the rules of competitions after the COVID 19 pandemic is slowly becoming a global issue again, the International Football Association Board (IFAB) has approved a temporary change in the rules of the game to protect the well-being of players at the request of FIFA.
For competitions that end on December 31, 2020 (regardless of whether they have already started), IFAB has, at FIFA’s request, approved a temporary change to Rule 3 (see below) – players, which allows each team to make a maximum of five substitutions. With a view to the flow of the game, each team has a maximum of three opportunities for substitutions during the regular season. In addition, you can also switch during the half-time break.
This immediate, temporary change was introduced as a tight calendar and games threaten the heat, which could affect both players’ wellbeing. Competition organizers are free to choose whether or not to apply this temporary change. IFAB and FIFA will decide at a later date whether this regulation should be extended. This paves the way for what will definately be the most interesting football season to date with all the new rules and regulations as a result of the virus. We will see the game we know and love dramatically changed to account for the spread of the virus.
The full list of new changes are as follows :
- Each team can make a maximum of five substitutions.
- With a view to the flow of the game, each team has a maximum of three opportunities for substitutions during the regular season. In addition, you can also switch during the half-time break.
- If both teams make a substitution at the same time, both teams lose one of the three substitution opportunities.
- Unused changes and unused replacement opportunities will be carried over to any extension.
- If an additional substitution is permitted in the extension according to the competition regulations, the teams will each receive an additional substitution opportunity. In addition, substitutions may be made before the start of the extension and during the half-time break of the extension.
OFFICIAL: Five substitutes option temporarily allowed to competition organisers ⚽️
— The IFAB (@TheIFAB) May 8, 2020