So it’s the first week back after seven blissful lecture-free days, better known as “so-much-work-to-do-I’ll-just-lie-down-and-do-nothing” Week. The first days back are inevitably filled with pathetic attempts to rise from your bed, never mind arriving to class on time.
So, it might seem like a long stretch, but as Griffith College students we’ve just 5 weeks left before we break for what is promising to be a fun-filled summer. Events like Longitude, Electric Picnic, the Dublin Writers’ Festival, Dublin Pride, and the Flora Women’s Mini-Marathon (if you’re feeling particularly ambitious) all lay ahead.
I’m just teasing you now aren’t I? Here are 8 people who are definitely having a rougher time of it than you this week.
1. The fire-fighters who attempted to tame this FIRENADO at the Rocky Mountain Arsenal Wildlife Range in Colorado. A tornado. Made of FIRE.
Read more here.
2. Anna Wintour has been receiving plenty of backlash from disgruntled fans of Vogue, after the British editor not only gave reality star Kim Kardashian and hip-hop royalty Kanye West the coveted cover, but also devoted a whole spread to them inside the fashion bible. The picture below is presented without comment.
North looks positively terrified, no?
3. The polar bears who mistakenly thought they were being adopted after a sudden surge in text donations to the World Wildlife Fund. It seems that social media users were getting their wires crossed when it came to the correct numbers to text their #NoMakeUpSelfie donations. A number of texts were sent to WWF, with people inadvertently expressing their interest in adopting a polar bear. Full story here.
4. The PR team for Russian state TV channel Rossiya 24. Why? Oh, because one of its news anchors, Evelina Zakamskaya, casually stated that the “Jews brought the Holocaust on themselves.” There isn’t really much left to say on this matter, so I’ll let the GIF do the talking. More here.
5. This poor guy who almost had his mouth burned off after his girlfriend paid him back for an earlier prank by dousing his burrito in the seventh hottest sauce on the market. Watch below.
(Anybody else find it strange that someone just walked from the corner of their home holding a camera? )
6. These poor pooches who are devastatingly confused when this fast-fingered magician makes their treats “disappear”.
7. Fred Phelps’ eulogist. The founder of the notorious Westboro Baptist Church died on March 19th, and I do not envy the person who had to utter the obligatory kind words at the altar on his funeral. “Fred Phelps was a man who… He was… I-I give up.”
Someone who can offer kinder words than I, however, is George Takei.
Full story here.
8. And finally, those of us with eyes, ears, and a sense of rationality should avoid all social media today as Crystal Swing have released their version of Livin’ La Vida Loca. Watch at your own peril. You may as well get it over with, eh?