So next week I turn 22, and now I know I’m still quite young, however, I thought It would be interesting to share 22 tips that I’ve learnt throughout the years as well as what older family members have told me so that hopefully, you can implement them into your life!
1. Don’t rush anything, you’ve got a long time ahead of you. Enjoy the moments.
2. Get your work done as soon as you can.
3. Get off your phone and go for walks, we spend way to much time on those devices. Take a break.
4. Make time for your friends, it’s honestly where you’ll learn the most about life.
5. You see something you want, go after it. A quote I’ve started to live by is the famous “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take” – Wayne Gretzky. The worse thing you’re going to hear is no.
6. Learn to take criticism. You’re not perfect, no-one is.
7. Pick up an instrument and learn it, its a nice little skill to have (It also looks good on the old CV)
8. Go abroad with friends or a significant other, get to learn more about that person outside of the usual environment.
9. Go to networking events. Meet people with similar interests as you, it’s amazing to see what people are willing to do for you just from sharing an interest.
10. Don’t stop reading books, honestly, it’s a great way to educate yourself and pass time. (Here’s a links to my top recommendations).
11. Spend time with your grandparents. You learn a lot, I meet my grandad every 2 weeks for lunch and we talk for hours about his past and my life, they’ve got some great advice and hilarious jokes.
12. Take every opportunity that’s given to you, you never know who you might meet or what you might end up doing.
13. Budget yourself. I think this one is self-explanatory.
14. Be nice to those around you. There are times you’ll get into arguments with those you’re closest too, you may not talk to each other for a few days or weeks after, but just give them a smile and say hey show them you’re still there for them, being pleasant goes a long way even if it doesn’t feel like it.
15. Be spontaneous, go to see a concert of a band you know nothing about, go do that hike, meet that person for coffee or food. Life is about moments, so live in them. Tomorrow isn’t promised, go do what makes you happy.
16. Don’t overthink scenarios, it’s a killer and can ruin moments, just act on your inner gut feeling (Unless it’s taking another shot at the bar, never trust that feeling)
17. Go travelling for 6 months to 1 year after college. It helps to go somewhere new and be a different person.
18. Don’t fear what people think of you, be yourself.
19. Don’t compare what you see others doing on social media to what you’re doing, it can lead to a lot of negative and sad thoughts.
20. Watch your carbon footprint. (Not a comedic one, but definitely something you should look into, you know, save the planet and all)
21. Have fun, relax and let things flow, you’re young… For now.
22. Lastly, you’re 22 now, you’re legally bound to listen to this song for the next 365 days
So, now go wild, go far, go free. You’re 22, go scare yourself and go, love, yourself (but not too much, can’t have danger zone levels of confidence flowing) and continue to run away from the terrors of adulthood.
If you’ve got any tips of your own, let the Circular now in the comment section below!